r6440 - in trunk/BOOK: general/prog introduction/welcome

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 20 16:48:32 PST 2007

Bruce Dubbs wrote these words on 01/20/07 18:36 CST:

> A suggestion: Why not use the same command for all three?

I thought about it. But I got sidetracked into thinking that
there may be something to learn about the way Perl Modules are
packaged, and showing that each man page is produced by a
corresponding .pm file might be interesting. A blanket command
seems it wouldn't be as descriptive.

But you're probably right. My way is overkill.

> Also, you characterize the files as "UTF-8 encoded manual pages."  I
> think that is slightly misleading.  I would say "manual pages with a few
> embedded non-ASCII characters."

Again, you're probably right. I must admit, this UTF-8 encoded/non
ASCII character stuff is still rather new to me, and I'm just doing
the first thing that comes to mind.

> I suppose I should drop this.  It's not really a big deal.  I've had my
> say.  I'll agree with whatever you end up doing.  No need to reply.

I appreciate your comments. Don't drop it if you feel the book can
become better by implementing your suggestions.

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.26] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
18:44:01 up 10 days, 18:58, 1 user, load average: 0.25, 0.21, 0.17