r6438 - in trunk/BOOK: general/genutils introduction/welcome

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 20 14:18:41 PST 2007

Bruce Dubbs wrote these words on 01/20/07 16:04 CST:

> Although this works for this one man page, it only removes two specific
> UTF-8 characters in a specified sequence.  There are potentially 254
> additional characters that this command does not change.  It is not a
> general solution for all man pages.

It is not intended to be a general fix. It is specific to the affected
man page. Please review the notes in the Trac ticket (#2102). All the
questions you've been asking about this should be answered there.

> Maybe there aren't any others.  I haven't checked.

However, others *have* checked. And each bad page has been identified
(and now fixed, once I make my next commit).

> I personally think this sets a bad precedent.

Why? I initially thought that too, read the comments in the bug. But
I'm on the other side of the fence now. Chiefly, because Alex has
said if we create a ticket for bad pages, he'll supply a solution.
And since only about 5 packages totaling about 20 man pages (out of
the over 12,600 on my system) are affected, it is simply too easy
of a task *not* to do it.

Besides, precedent is set in *LFS* (see the Shadow instructions),
BLFS is just following along. :-)

>  Do we need to check the
> info pages too?

No, the bug is manifested using Man-db to display man pages.

>  What is the harm in leaving the man pages the way they are?

They display improperly formatted characters, and/or produce
unreadable man pages.

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.26] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
16:08:00 up 10 days, 16:22, 1 user, load average: 2.03, 1.21, 0.58