r6438 - in trunk/BOOK: general/genutils introduction/welcome

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 14:04:49 PST 2007

randy at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
> Author: randy
> Date: 2007-01-20 13:36:33 -0700 (Sat, 20 Jan 2007)
> New Revision: 6438

> +    command is used to remove UTF-8 encoding from one of the installed
> +    manual pages.</para>

Just a comment.

Although this works for this one man page, it only removes two specific
UTF-8 characters in a specified sequence.  There are potentially 254
additional characters that this command does not change.  It is not a
general solution for all man pages.

Maybe there aren't any others.  I haven't checked.

I personally think this sets a bad precedent.  Do we need to check the
info pages too?  What is the harm in leaving the man pages the way they are?

Just my 2 ¢s