[BLFS Trac] #2003: Vim 7.0

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 14:58:59 PST 2007

> Comment (by Ag.Hatzim):
>
>  I would like to see
>  into the book the part about the various interpreters.
>
>  Look at it in this way.
>  Why someone has to rebuild vim after LFS?
>
>  a) X
>
>  1.gui.
>  2.X11 selection.
>  3.Various other reasons,like scripts that are designed (or work better)
>  for the gui,like the tohtml script.
>
>  b) Building against the various scripting languages (python,ruby,tcl)
>  which
>  wasn't present in the first build.
>  The problem with this,is that you have to enable the various interpreters
>  *manually*,because vim wisely it doesn't link against these languages no
>  matter if they are present or not.
>  So I believe that is something,that is worth mentioning in the
>  instructions.

There is a third reason--someone wants to go back and update a package
long after they have built the standard LFS system.  Or even if they
want to update to the latest package for a non-LFS system.

That said, to me the most common reason for rebuilding vim is to get
gvim as in your first reason above.  The book currently does that.

As for your second reason, I think you are just mentioning the configure

  --enable-mzschemeinterp Include MzScheme interpreter.
  --enable-perlinterp     Include Perl interpreter.
  --enable-pythoninterp   Include Python interpreter.
  --enable-tclinterp      Include Tcl interpreter.
  --enable-rubyinterp     Include Ruby interpreter.
  --enable-cscope         Include cscope interface.
  --enable-workshop       Include Sun Visual Workshop support.
  --enable-sniff          Include Sniff interface.
  --enable-xim            Include XIM input support.

To be honest, I don't know what these do, however including something
about them really isn't necessary IMO.  Note that the Going Beyond BLFS
section says:

"Many of the newer packages follow the ./configure && make && make
install process. Help on the options accepted by configure can be
obtained via the command ./configure --help."

By the time users get to BLFS, they should know how to check ./configure
--help to find options that are not mentioned in the book.

If you still think additional explanation is necessary, please give us
some recommended text to put into the book.

Thanks for your suggestion.