[BLFS Trac] #2072: Mutt 1.5.13

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 09:19:37 PST 2007

On 2/23/07, Ag. Hatzimanikas <a.hatzim at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 23, at 10:50 Dan Nicholson wrote:
> >
> > I'm stupid about mutt. Does libesmtp allow me to use a remote MTA
> > instead of my local MTA? Or does it just add ESMTP support to the
> > current SMTP dialog?
>
> And by coincidence the patch just applied by Brendan (it was his
> patch anyway) -unfortunately there is no access right now to the web interface
> to link to it,maybe because they are moving from cvs to mercurial
> (that's the plan).
>
> Oh,and disregard!
> The patch doesn't look to depend on libesmtp.[1]
> I had a different patch in mind,last night when I wrote it.
> Last night?
> Did I mention that it was my birthday?
> 40 years officially and... counting.I owe you a drink. :)

Happy Birthday, Ag! I think I owe _you_ a drink! What do the Greeks
like to drink?

Are you familiar with the phrase "over the hill"? :-) I don't know if
that's an American phrase.

> By the way Dan,
> We already have the --enable-pop by default
>         -- Oh,I almost forgot about that.
> If someone wants to use pop with gmail it has to use also --with-ssl
> configure switch.Should we have to mention it also?
>         ---
> So I wonder,that with the same logic that we use --enable-pop,then it will
> be wise to add --enable-smtp in the instructions.

Yes, this is exactly the situation. I can fetch my gmail account fine
over POP, but if I want to send mail for the same address, it's kind
of tricky. The options (from my non-expert mail setup POV):

* Setup postfix to forward mail through the Google SMTP server when the
  envelope sender is @gmail.com. I think this is possible, but I haven't tried
  to figure it out yet. I currently have a rule to forward all
outgoing mail through
  my ISP's server, and I think I could configure it to do both.

* Just send it from my MTA and hope the receiving SMTP server doesn't reject
  it due to mismatches in server/envelope sender. (This ignores the fact that
  I don't think I understand how mutt sets the envelop sender. So many damn
  options!)

* Use mutt-ng, which has support for remote SMTP through libesmtp.
  http://mutt-ng.berlios.de/manual/smtp.html

In Mutt, apparently they do think it's too much for this support.

http://wiki.mutt.org/?MuttFaq/Sendmail

> For those who don't know, Mutt is not doing SMTP -until now -(currently relies on 3rd
> party software to do this) --I am using libesmtp/esmtp if that matters.
>
> Patch against an older version.
> 1. http://mutt.kublai.com/patches/patch-1.5.11.bc.smtp.14
>
> PS.
> Looking in it,there are some number of supported protocols,and there is
> also a StartTLS SMTP extension,which is what is being used (I believe) to
> send message through gmail's smtp server.
> Again it needs --enable-ssl for that matter.

Thanks. I'll look at that. But, mutt-ng looks very intriguing since it
folds in many of those patches by default.

--
Dan