[BLFS Trac] #2242: BLFS-6.2.0 text changes

Chuck Rhode CRhode at LacusVeris.com
Tue Feb 13 09:19:54 PST 2007

Dan Nicholson wrote this on Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 12:09:18AM -0800.  My
reply is below.

> On 2/12/07, Chuck Rhode <CRhode at lacusveris.com> wrote:

> > There's more variation on the internal ones, but there's at least
> > some inconsistency in both.  I can be more specific!

> Sure. The internal ones are defined by <xref>, which in turn takes the
> name from a property in the target page. Those could probably be more
> consistent. I'd love to hear some specifics. They might not all get
> changed, but at least they're simple to take care of.

I realize the dependency lists are meant to be human readable and
contain explanatory phrases.  Please don't interpret any of these
suggestions to facilitate automatic parsing of the dependency lists as
in any way disparaging their explicative value.

Here are some examples:

The xreflabel in these packages does not match the case of the package
title:

: Audacious
: Bc
: Dhcpcd
: Expat
: Hd2u
: Hdparm
: Id3lib
: Intltool
: Iptables
: Ispell
: Kdeaccessibility
: Kdeaddons
: Kdeartwork
: Kdebase
: Kdebindings
: Kdeedu
: Kdegames
: Kdegraphics
: Kdelibs
: Kdemultimedia
: Kdenetwork
: Kdepim
: Kdesdk
: Kdetoys
: Kdeutils
: Kdevelop
: Kdewebdev
: Liba52
: Libao
: Libart_lgpl
: Libcapplet
: Libcroco
: Libdv
: Libdvdread
: Libghttp
: Libglade
: LibIDL
: Libidn
: Libmikmod
: Libpcap
: Librep
: Libungif
: Luit
: Mpg123
: Nano
: Pilot-link
: Popt
: Portmap
: Rep-gtk
: Slrn
: Sudo
: TIN
: Which
: Xbitmaps
: Xine Libraries
: Xine User Interface

The xreflabel in these packages does not match the package title:

: dvd+rw-tools
: G-Wrap
: ISO Codes

Here are examples of the same internal link used in hard-to-parse
phrases:

: basicnet/netprogs/cvs.xml
: basicnet/textweb/lynx.xml
: general/prog/php.xml
: gnome/add/evolution-data-server.xml
: gnome/add/gnome-media.xml
: xsoft/other/balsa.xml
: xsoft/office/gimp.xml
:   use the phrase 'an <xref linkend="server-mail"/> (that provides'
: basicnet/mailnews/tin.xml
:   uses the phrase 'an <xref linkend="server-mail"/> that provides'
: general/sysutils/fcron.xml
: postlfs/security/tripwire.xml
: server/mail/qpopper.xml
:   use the phrase 'An <xref linkend="server-mail"/>'

> The external ones can certainly differ as they're written in on each
> page they appear on, rather than referencing an entity.

Here are some examples:

: general/genlib/gmime.xml shows <ulink url="http://go-mono.com/sources/">Gtk#</ulink>
: general/sysutils/dbus.xml shows <ulink url="http://www.mono-project.com/GtkSharp">GtkSharp-1.0.x</ulink>.

: xsoft/other/balsa.xml and xsoft/other/gaim.xml show <ulink url="http://gtkspell.sourceforge.net/">Gtkspell</ulink>