r6543 - trunk/BOOK/general/sysutils

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 09:40:21 PST 2007

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> bdubbs at linuxfromscratch.org wrote these words on 02/05/07 11:10 CST:

>> +    <application>Fcron</application> will use <xref linkend="sendmail"/>
>> +    to email you the results of the <command>fcron</command> script. Omit this
>> +    switch to use <application>sendmail</application> or
>>      <option>--with-sendmail=<replaceable></path/to/MTA></replaceable></option>
>> -    if you wish to utilize this feature.</para>
>> +    to use a different MTA.</para>
>
> Actually, wouldn't it be better to use <command>sendmail</command>
> instead of the link to the Sendmail package. Many/most of our MTAs
> provide a sendmail command. I would prefer if we didn't specifically
> say one package over another, when any of several would do.
>
> Hopefully, I'm making sense here.

Yes.  How about this:

<application>Fcron</application> will use the
<command>sendmail</command> command to email you the results of the
<command>fcron</command> script. Omit this switch to use this command or use
<option>--with-sendmail=<replaceable></path/to/MTA></replaceable></option>
to use a different one.</para>

I'm unsure of the <command>sendmail</command>  because I don't really
know if we want to highlight it in the rendered text.

Also, I don't like the word 'use' three times in one sentence, but I
can't think of something better right now.