Two quick questions about *ftp and loging size.

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Aug 3 12:24:55 PDT 2007

Ag. D. Hatzimanikas wrote these words on 08/03/07 14:13 CST:

> Can we use the gentoo ftp entity when there is no ftp link for a
> package?

If the package tarball exists at the URL indicated in the Gentoo
FTP, then yes, you can use it in the instructions.

> And remind me about the build size of the package.
> Do we have to include also the size of the package when we count the
> build size?

Build size calculation should be identified in the Editor's Guide,
but a summary of that would be:

The total of diskspace used by the source directory after building
the package and what is used by the installation in /usr (or wherever).

Essentially, that means getting the disk space before unpacking the
tarball. Then build and install the package. Then get the disk space
again before removing the source directory. The difference of the two
numbers is the space used.

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.26] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
14:20:00 up 1 day, 14:11, 1 user, load average: 0.74, 0.96, 0.72