Plural/Singular - Does it Matter?

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 00:02:48 PDT 2007

On 8/2/07, Randy McMurchy <randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Randy McMurchy wrote these words on 08/02/07 17:48 CST:
> > ag at linuxfromscratch.org wrote these words on 08/02/07 17:35 CST:
> >> +    <segmentedlist>
> >> +      <segtitle>Installed Programs</segtitle>
> >> +      <segtitle>Installed Libraries</segtitle>
> >> +      <segtitle>Installed Directories</segtitle>

> > Not that it really matters, but we've made practice that if there
> > is only 1 directory installed, then we don't use plural "Directories"
> > above. It would be "Installed Directory"
>
> The more I think about that, the more I don't like it. And it was my
> idea. :-(  I'm thinking a message to -dev is prudent here (cc'd).
>
> I now lean to a standardization of Installed Programs/Libraries/Directories
> (all plural) in all instances. Makes our life easier, and I don't see
> it as anything grammatically incorrect.

Personally, I prefer the way we are doing it now.  It only takes a
moment to change from singular to plural or vice versa.  Most of the
time we only need to do it when we add a new package.  Its only a
matter of editor education.  Once a new editor makes a mistake and its
pointed out, it is much less likely to occur again by that editor.

The Editor's guide shows an example with one program.  There is no
text mentioning the singular/plural issue.

I will note that the edguide does have an error.  It says Library and
then lists libfam.[so,a] which is, of course, two libraries.