r6115 - in trunk/BOOK: introduction/welcome x/installing

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Sun May 21 19:41:12 PDT 2006

Andrew Benton wrote:

> FWIW, I think information about dependencies should be in the book. It
> would be a mistake to remove useful information.
>
> Andy

In general, yes, but Xorg7 is different. Each page covers many
individual "packages" that do depend on each other, and this is the only
place in BLFS where this is done (I suppose the Perl Modules page could
be considered an exception, but the main difference is that the Perl
Modules are separate, but Xorg is considered one app that happens to be
split into many pieces). Nowhere else (again, except Perl Modules) is
there something in BLFS that says "Required: The XXX program from the
YYY package". The only way (that I can see, anyway) to add all
dependency information for each individual library and app, and remain
consistent with the rest of BLFS, is to put each one on its own page
(making about 200 individual pages for Xorg).

Personally, I don't build every lib and app in  Xorg 7 (just building
them all would essentially eliminate the point of modularity) but I do
understand (mainly for support purposes) the need to simply expect that
a user has them all, and I think that is what BLFS should do.