[BLFS Trac] #1976: Udev rule required to support non-root use of lsusb

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat May 20 10:58:30 PDT 2006

BLFS Trac wrote these words on 05/20/06 12:39 CST:

>  One question I'd like to dicusss is whether this is a problem at all.  The
>  ticket implies that regular users should be able to list usb devices, but
>  should they?  Perhaps it should be root only.  After all, the program is
>  installed in /usr/sbin.

And so is lspci, and unprivileged can run that one. There doesn't seem
to be any harm in unprivileged users knowing what devices are on/in
the system. And it doesn't seem to pose a security risk, but I'm not
sure how useful the info is. Note that only root, no matter the perms,
can use the -v switch to see all the good stuff.

>  On a related note, I'm not if its because I don't have the latest udev
>  rules installed (they are about two weeks old), but when executing as
>  root, I get:
>
>  cannot open /proc/bus/usb/devices, No such file or directory
>
>  My /proc/bus/usb directoy is empty, even though I am using a usb mouse.

My Udev rules on a current system were installed May 5th, so they are
over two weeks old. Not sure if this will be helpful or not:

http://www.linux-usb.org/FAQ.html#ts5

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.27] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
12:54:00 up 8 days, 4:54, 1 user, load average: 0.44, 0.19, 0.13