r6105 - trunk/BOOK/multimedia/libdriv

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Thu May 18 08:33:15 PDT 2006

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> bdubbs at linuxfromscratch.org wrote these words on 05/18/06 09:50 CST:
>> +      <note><para>The <application>NAS</application> server is not compatible
>> +      with the <ulink url="http://www.mediaapplicationserver.net/">MAS</ulink> or
>> +      <ulink url="http://jackit.sourceforge.net/">JACK</ulink>
>> +      servers.</para></note>
>> +
>
> This is totally confusing to me. What is it supposed to mean? I'm not
> sure anyone would understand this. Does it mean if you have JACK
> installed, to not install NAS?

Probably Bruce wants to express that there can be only one sound server active
at a time, and in this case a better wording (that doesn't have to be changed
when someone invents Yet Another Sound Server) would probably be:

The NAS server cannot run simultaneously with other sound servers, such as MAS
or JACK.

BTW, what is the general XML policy or canonical wording for such "conflicts"?
On  AFPL Ghostscript page, the explicit "Conflicts" word is used as a section
heading. Here the words "is not compatible" are used inside a <note> tag.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov