r6105 - trunk/BOOK/multimedia/libdriv

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu May 18 08:31:23 PDT 2006

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> bdubbs at linuxfromscratch.org wrote these words on 05/18/06 09:50 CST:
>
>> +    <para role="required"><xref linkend="x-window-system"/> and
>> +    <xref linkend="rman"/> (if <application>Xorg7</application>)</para>
>
> Why do we even need the "rman" dependency? You said in an earlier
> email to someone that we expect *all* of Xorg7 to be installed.
> If they don't then they are on their own. Now it appears that
> we're explaining to install sub-parts of Xorg7.
>
> There seems to be contradiction in your statements. :-)
>
> Perhaps this bug was for when rman wasn't in the Xorg section?

Although we would expect the user to install rman as a part of xorg7, it
can be done without it.  It is also on a completely separate page.  If
rman was just one of the applications in one of xorg7's wget statements,
I would not have put it into the dependencies, but I wanted to emphasize
that it is required for NAS in this case.

>> +      <note><para>The <application>NAS</application> server is not compatible
>> +      with the <ulink url="http://www.mediaapplicationserver.net/">MAS</ulink> or
>> +      <ulink url="http://jackit.sourceforge.net/">JACK</ulink>
>> +      servers.</para></note>
>> +
>
> This is totally confusing to me. What is it supposed to mean? I'm not
> sure anyone would understand this. Does it mean if you have JACK
> installed, to not install NAS?

Yes.  Or at least don't try to run the JACK and NAS servers at the same
time.  If you can think of better wording, go for it.