r6057 - in trunk/BOOK: . introduction/welcome xsoft/office

Andrew Benton b3nt at ukonline.co.uk
Sat May 13 13:46:41 PDT 2006

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On 5/13/06, Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 5/13/06, Andrew Benton <b3nt at ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
>> > dnicholson at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
>> >
>> > The default is for the gimp to use its own internal help browser if you
>> > install libgtkhtml first. It only uses an external browser to view
>> > internet links. You can change the browser it calls through the
>> > preferences dialog. File> Preferences> Help System> Web Browser
>>
>> I'm pretty sure starting with this release that is not the case
>> anymore.
>
> Sorry, Andy.  What I wrote is correct.  I installed libgtkhtml and
> built the helpbrowser plugin.  I removed my old gimp profile and
> started fresh.  When I go to help, it opens a page in firefox.  I went
> into Preferences and set the Help browser to "GIMP help browser".  The
> default setting is on "Web browser", as is shown in gimpguiconfig.c.
>
> I'm going to leave the text as is unless there's something else I
> don't know about.

Well for me (with Gimp-2.3.8) the default is to open the the gimp help
browser. I could install gimp-2.2.11 to see if what you say is true
(different versions of the gimp usually coexist quite well) but it isn't
really that important what the default setting is. As long as people
know how to choose they can make up their own minds. I don't know why I
brought it up. Sorry for the noise.

Andy