r6057 - in trunk/BOOK: . introduction/welcome xsoft/office

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sat May 13 08:20:48 PDT 2006

On 5/13/06, Andrew Benton <b3nt at ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> dnicholson at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
>
> The default is for the gimp to use its own internal help browser if you
> install libgtkhtml first. It only uses an external browser to view
> internet links. You can change the browser it calls through the
> preferences dialog. File> Preferences> Help System> Web Browser

I'm pretty sure starting with this release that is not the case
anymore.  From app/config/gimpguiconfig.c:

===
#define DEFAULT_GIMP_HELP_BROWSER  GIMP_HELP_BROWSER_WEB_BROWSER
#define DEFAULT_THEME              "Default"

#ifdef G_OS_WIN32
#  define DEFAULT_WEB_BROWSER      "not used on Windows"
#else
#  define DEFAULT_WEB_BROWSER      "mozilla %s"
#endif
===

I think they made this change because too many people, especially on
Windows, were going to Help and getting nothing.

I've looked through the source, and there's no build time switching of
the DEFAULT_GIMP_HELP_BROWSER value.  All that happens if libgtkhtml
is found is that the internal help browser is built.  It's not set as
the default unless you specifically override it.

However, I'm now building libgtkhtml to see if this really is the case or not.

--
Dan