r6035 - in trunk/BOOK: multimedia/libdriv x/installing

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue May 9 16:54:51 PDT 2006

Randy McMurchy wrote these words on 05/09/06 18:36 CST:

> "Several" in this context is being used as a pronoun. "Smaller", of
> course, is an adjective here. "Several" is not being used to describe
> the files, it is used to identify *how many* files there are.

I've went and read the darn sentence so many times now, I'm confused
myself. Perhaps, "several" can be used as an adjective here. I'm too
lazy to consult a grammar guide, so if you want to change it back, do
it.

Or, we can wait until someone else comments and straightens this out.

There are several smaller apples in the other basket.
There are four smaller apples in the other basket.
There are many smaller apples in the other basket.
There are no smaller apples in the other basket.
There is 1 smaller apple in the other basket.

Quiz:

Which sentences (or none) should have a comma after the word being
used as the quantity of apples?

18:49:00 up 45 days, 6:26, 3 users, load average: 0.17, 0.28, 0.43