r5781 - in trunk/BOOK: . introduction/welcome postlfs/security

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Mar 31 08:36:15 PST 2006

Dan Nicholson wrote these words on 03/31/06 10:24 CST:

> No, the instructions work.  That patch just clears up the need to
> comment out all the variables because they are undefined in the
> binary.
>
> Don't worry about it.  Moving on.

Please, help me here. I feel stupid not knowing what you're talking
about. :-)

My understanding is that we comment out those lines in the login.defs
file because we no longer want Shadow (login program) to handle these
chores, instead, Linux-PAM does it.

Have I been under the wrong impression all this time? If so, at a
minimum the language in the book needs to change to reflect this
"undefinded in the binary" business (whatever that means).

Dan, I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck, I just don't know what you're
talking about. Looking at the patch you sent a link to was useless.
There is nothing in it that even gives me a remote clue.

10:30:01 up 5 days, 23:07, 6 users, load average: 2.35, 1.05, 0.60