r5748 - in trunk/BOOK: . general/prog introduction/welcome

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Mar 26 12:35:44 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 12:26 -0800, Dan Nicholson wrote:

> Is there a good reason why BLFS has all the installation steps for the
> headers?  In LFS

LFS only cares if it works in Chapter 6 LFS with Expect and DejaGnu
to test GCC. This isn't a good example to use why BLFS should change.

> and DIY,

?? Do they build anything beyond a base system over there? If not,
then ditto the comments about LFS.

> I think it would be worthwhile to see if apps that use tcl (expect and
> tk are foremost) still work with `make install-private-headers'.  It
> would simplify the build a lot.

Yes, it would simplify it. But there are *many* more packages than
just Expect and Tk to worry about. I would not say they are foremost.
Many packages build Tcl bindings and need to find the libs and includes.
Granted some (most??) use tclConfig.sh to figure stuff out, but it
seems that we should do a lot of testing before we change something
that works, into an unknown.

Just my thoughts, anyway.

rmlinux: [bogomips 3993.32] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.2]
14:30:42 up 5 days, 22:05, 8 users, load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.08