r5746 - in trunk/BOOK: general/genutils introduction/welcome

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Mar 25 13:49:13 PST 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 14:41 -0700, dnicholson at linuxfromscratch.org
wrote:

> -    <para>This package does not come with a test suite.</para>
> +    <para>To test <application>bc</application>, run the commands below.
> +    There is quite a bit of output, so you may want to redirect it to a file.
> +    Some tests are known to fail, but <application>bc</application> is still
> +    useable.</para>

When you initially said something about this, I did not realize that
there were failures in the tests. I think they should be removed. The
tests are over 10 years old, and if they haven't been fixed by now,
they ain't ever gunna be.

I think having tests that fail, even if it is mentioned, will cause
folks to ask needless questions. Please explain what benefit having
those tests do for the package as it is a mature package that is
known by all to work properly.

rmlinux: [bogomips 3993.32] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.2]
15:46:19 up 4 days, 23:20, 9 users, load average: 0.13, 0.12, 0.05