r5743 - in trunk/BOOK: . general/genlib introduction/welcome

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Mar 24 16:11:07 PST 2006

Randy McMurchy wrote:

> I suppose you would have to call this method "intuition", or
> "roll the dice" or whatever else name you'd like to use. Bottom
> line is that it is an Editor's responsibility once the package
> is updated to keep an eye out and ensure things are developing
> as expected.
>
> In my case with Expat, I've updated, built packages that link
> to the library and things are working. I feel safe with this
> knowing the minimal impact it has on BLFS.
>
> I suppose some would just call this "experience", for lack of a
> more fitting term. Others may judge it as "unnecessary risk". I'm
> not sure everyone is going to have similar thoughts about something
> like this.

Well that's right on track here.  Users know the development book may be
unstable at any given time.  We try our best not to let that happen, but
if it does, it does and we try to fix it quickly.  If a user is
following a development book, then they should be following blfs-dev and
blfs-book too and should be capable of fixing the problem when it's
discovered a little late.  If not, then lesson learned the hard way. :-/

-- DJ Lucas

-- DJ Lucas