r5743 - in trunk/BOOK: . general/genlib introduction/welcome

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Mar 24 13:25:44 PST 2006

Dan Nicholson wrote these words on 03/24/06 15:05 CST:

> Did you test this against the reverse deps?

I have no clue what a "reverse dep" is. :-(

However, there are *many* things I use to gage whether or not
the book should be updated to a particular version of a package.
One is that how much could it affect building BLFS packages. Take
a package such as OpenSSL, this has such far-reaching affects
throughout BLFS that it is one package that you probably should
be fairly certain that *most* packages build against it and
work as expected.

For some packages, such as Expat, I feel the impact is minimal on
BLFS. So I do some limited testing and update the book hoping that
many folks will update and we can start getting a feel for the
package to see if there are going to be problems.

I suppose you would have to call this method "intuition", or
"roll the dice" or whatever else name you'd like to use. Bottom
line is that it is an Editor's responsibility once the package
is updated to keep an eye out and ensure things are developing
as expected.

In my case with Expat, I've updated, built packages that link
to the library and things are working. I feel safe with this
knowing the minimal impact it has on BLFS.

I suppose some would just call this "experience", for lack of a
more fitting term. Others may judge it as "unnecessary risk". I'm
not sure everyone is going to have similar thoughts about something
like this.

15:16:00 up 3 days, 20:32, 5 users, load average: 0.12, 0.08, 0.02