Cracklib and PAM

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 13:20:25 PST 2006

On 3/23/06, Randy McMurchy <randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote these words on 03/23/06 14:26 CST:
>
> > Because I don't always want my password to be checked that thoroughly.
>
> Thanks, Dan. And not to belabor the point, but instead to provide
> information that you may not be aware of considering the remark
> above, even with CrackLib installed, you still don't *have* to
> have a strong password. With CrackLib you could still have "Dan"
> as your password (just an example, not saying that's what you
> would use) if you wanted.

Part of the problem that I haven't mentioned so far is that I don't
know how to configure cracklib well.  So, what ends up happening is
that I have a hard time setting passwords that cracklib deems worthy.
But that's more of a usage problem.  I still like using PAM to control
how different programs authenticate users.  I don't always like having
a strict password checker, though.

--
Dan