Cracklib and PAM

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 10:33:11 PST 2006

On 3/23/06, Bruce Dubbs <bdubbs at swbell.net> wrote:

> Dan,
>   I agree with Randy about the philosophy of installing Cracklib. I'm
> curious why you would want PAM and not use it.

Seems I'm alone here, but I don't see them as the same issue.  They
both provide security, but completely different aspects.  PAM provides
control over authenticating users for programs.  Cracklib enforces
password strength.  I use PAM.  It doesn't need Cracklib to work.  If
I was running a system with lots of users who I didn't know, I'd
probably install Cracklib.

Should the instructions for using PAM without cracklib be removed?

--
Dan