Cracklib and PAM

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Thu Mar 23 08:43:29 PST 2006

BLFS Trac wrote:
> #1784: Shadow-4.0.15 (will update when LFS moves to this version)
> ----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
>  Reporter:  randy at linuxfromscratch.org  |        Owner:  randy at linuxfromscratch.org
>      Type:  defect                      |       Status:  assigned
> Comment (by dnicholson at linuxfromscratch.org):
>
>  Come on, Randy.  This conversation has been had before.  Not everyone
>  wants Cracklib installed, including me.  I see it as a completely separate
>  issue than PAM.

Replying outside of Trac...

Dan,
  I agree with Randy about the philosophy of installing Cracklib. I'm
curious why you would want PAM and not use it.

  As an aside, I don't like PAM at all on my personal systems where I am
the only user.  It complicates things  and doesn't add enough in that
situation to justify the effort.