r5718 - in trunk/BOOK: . introduction/welcome x/installing

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Mar 14 16:52:47 PST 2006

Dan Nicholson wrote:

> I will be following the RedHat method, which is:
>
> Fontconfig:
> --with-add-fonts=/usr/share/X11/fonts{Type1,OTF}
>
> X fonts in /usr/share/X11/fonts, which requires --libdir=/usr/share
> for all the font packages.
>
> This gives a generic, FHS compatible location for the fonts.

Well, I don't like it, but I'll defer to the community decision.  IMO,
it should just be left alone, but I don't look at -support and IRC as
much as I probably should either.  BTW, CC'd to BLFS-Dev for additional
eyes.  The instructions above _are_ the best way IMO, to allow users to
skip the step of configuring thier True Type fonts...at least they will
see that something about it in the command explanations.

For a bit of background, the instructions to install the fonts into
/usr/share/fonts were recently removed from all three X pages.  While
this is the correct thing to do, as bitmap fonst should not exist in
fontconfig's search path, it also leaves us without True Type fonts in
the search path.  The results are application segfaults for some X apps
if you do not go on to finish the normal X configuration (This is
covered in detail in the 'X Window System Components' section).

Here is a link to the thread which started the discussion on BLFS-book.

http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/blfs-book/2006-March/018029.html

Comments?

-- DJ Lucas