r5718 - in trunk/BOOK: . introduction/welcome x/installing

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 13:02:45 PST 2006

On 3/14/06, Andrew Benton <b3nt at ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

> We used to use /etc/fonts/local.conf and this was the step that people
> used to screw up. Experience shows that if we rely on people setting up
> /etc/fonts/local.conf then we will have a continual stream of people
> posting in BLFS-support. Gnome or KDE or Firefox or whatever segfaults
> on startup.
> If we put some fonts in /usr/share/fonts when we install X then it just
> works.

OK, I see what you mean.  I will be following the RedHat method, which is:

Fontconfig:
--with-add-fonts=/usr/share/X11/fonts{Type1,OTF}

X fonts in /usr/share/X11/fonts, which requires --libdir=/usr/share
for all the font packages.

This gives a generic, FHS compatible location for the fonts.

However, if BLFS wants to use --without-add-fonts or just not install
the X fonts into /usr/*/lib/X11/fonts so that the crappy bitmapped
fonts aren't found by fontconfig, then I think symlinks to the
locations of Type1,OTF should be made in /usr/share/fonts.

--
Dan