r5718 - in trunk/BOOK: . introduction/welcome x/installing

Andrew Benton b3nt at ukonline.co.uk
Tue Mar 14 12:54:55 PST 2006

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> * As is already in the book, in the X Window System Components,
>   install /etc/fonts/local.conf with the location of the OTF TTF dirs.
>   The stock fonts.conf includes /etc/fonts/{conf.d/*,local.conf} and
>   ~/.fonts.conf.

We used to use /etc/fonts/local.conf and this was the step that people
used to screw up. Experience shows that if we rely on people setting up
/etc/fonts/local.conf then we will have a continual stream of people
posting in BLFS-support. Gnome or KDE or Firefox or whatever segfaults
on startup.
If we put some fonts in /usr/share/fonts when we install X then it just
works.

Andy