r5718 - in trunk/BOOK: . introduction/welcome x/installing

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 11:05:29 PST 2006

On 3/14/06, Andrew Benton <b3nt at ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

> --with-add-fonts=/usr/share/blfs-fonts/OTF,/usr/share/blfs-fonts/TTF
>
> It's a lot more messy than installing the fonts in /usr/share/fonts.

Sorry to keep making different proposals, but I have a new idea.

* Install fontconfig with --without-add-fonts.  This makes the defaults
  /usr/share/fonts and ~/.fonts.  These directories are searched
  recursively, so later font configuation (say for DejaVu) could create
  /usr/share/fonts/dejavu, etc.

* Let X install its' fonts to ${XORG_PREFIX}/lib/X11/fonts

* As is already in the book, in the X Window System Components,
  install /etc/fonts/local.conf with the location of the OTF TTF dirs.
  The stock fonts.conf includes /etc/fonts/{conf.d/*,local.conf} and
  ~/.fonts.conf.

cat > /etc/fonts/local.conf << "EOF"
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<!-- /etc/fonts/local.conf file for local customizations -->

<fontconfig>
<dir>[/usr]/lib/X11/fonts/TTF</dir>
<dir>[/usr]/lib/X11/fonts/OTF</dir>
</fontconfig>

EOF

  with a note about replacing [/usr] with $XORG_PREFIX.  Then
  there's no moving of fonts or haggling with fonts.conf.  Unless
  we're planning on moving this whole TrueType fonts configuration
  section somewhere else.

  To make this even more pedantic, it could be called
  /etc/fonts/conf.d/X11.conf or something.

--
Dan