r5718 - in trunk/BOOK: . introduction/welcome x/installing

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Tue Mar 14 10:52:06 PST 2006

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On 3/14/06, Bruce Dubbs <bdubbs at swbell.net> wrote:
>> Andrew Benton wrote:
>>> --with-add-fonts=/usr/share/blfs-fonts/OTF,/usr/share/blfs-fonts/TTF
>>>
>>> It's a lot more messy than installing the fonts in /usr/share/fonts.
>> We might want to simplify this to installing X fonts in
>> /usr/share/bitmap-fonts and then moving non-bitmap font directoies to
>> /usr/share/fonts.  Then no changes are required for fontconfig and it
>> has the advantage of being more obvious to the user what is going on.
>
> The only issue I see here is that I don't know how X would handle
> this.  I don't know when it uses Fontconfig, and when it doesn't, but
> X wouldn't know to look in /usr/share/fonts/TTF to find fonts.scale
> and fonts.dir.  Only Fontconfig would.  Instead, they could be
> symlinked:
>
> ln -svn ../bitmap-fonts/TTF /usr/share/fonts/TTF
> ln -svn ../bitmap-fonts/OTF /usr/share/fonts/OTF
>
> Maybe this is overkill.

The fonts for legacy apps are specified in xorg.conf:

Section "Files"
    RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
#   FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/CID/"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
EndSection

Alternatively, they can be set up with the xfs fontserver.