r5718 - in trunk/BOOK: . introduction/welcome x/installing

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 10:03:58 PST 2006

On 3/14/06, Bruce Dubbs <bdubbs at swbell.net> wrote:
> Andrew Benton wrote:
> >
> > --with-add-fonts=/usr/share/blfs-fonts/OTF,/usr/share/blfs-fonts/TTF
> >
> > It's a lot more messy than installing the fonts in /usr/share/fonts.
>
> We might want to simplify this to installing X fonts in
> /usr/share/bitmap-fonts and then moving non-bitmap font directoies to
> /usr/share/fonts.  Then no changes are required for fontconfig and it
> has the advantage of being more obvious to the user what is going on.

The only issue I see here is that I don't know how X would handle
this.  I don't know when it uses Fontconfig, and when it doesn't, but
X wouldn't know to look in /usr/share/fonts/TTF to find fonts.scale
and fonts.dir.  Only Fontconfig would.  Instead, they could be
symlinked:

ln -svn ../bitmap-fonts/TTF /usr/share/fonts/TTF
ln -svn ../bitmap-fonts/OTF /usr/share/fonts/OTF

Maybe this is overkill.

--
Dan