r5718 - in trunk/BOOK: . introduction/welcome x/installing

Andrew Benton b3nt at ukonline.co.uk
Tue Mar 14 08:05:33 PST 2006

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> Thanks for the information. It may be a good idea to add a subset of X
> fonts (namely, TTF and OTF ones), something like:
>
> --with-add-fonts="/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/OTF,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF"

That assumes that X is installed in /usr/X11R6, but xorg-7 could be
installed to any prefix. Fontconfig has to be configured and installed
before X. The only way to make this work is to install fonts in some
standard location for every version of X windows. If we can't use
/usr/share/fonts as our standard location for fonts, how about something
like /usr/share/blfs-fonts? We could configure each version of X to
install its fonts in /usr/share/blfs-fonts and configure Fontconfig with

--with-add-fonts=/usr/share/blfs-fonts/OTF,/usr/share/blfs-fonts/TTF

It's a lot more messy than installing the fonts in /usr/share/fonts.

Andy