r5718 - in trunk/BOOK: . introduction/welcome x/installing

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Mon Mar 13 19:01:54 PST 2006

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On 3/13/06, Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov at ums.usu.ru> wrote:
>> Or configure Fontconfig to look into /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/{TTF,OTF}
>> (a patch to fonts.conf is acceptable, because all distros are doing this
>> sort of things) with a note that non-Latin1 users have to download more
>> fonts and put them into /usr/share/fonts.
>
> There are a couple issues I see here with Fontconfig-2.3.2 (haven't
> looked at the dev releases).
>
> First, you don't have to patch fonts.conf.  You can simply supply any
> other directories you want with --with-add-fonts to fontconfig.  These
> will be put in fonts.conf using the variable FC_FONTPATH.  E.g.,
> --with-add-fonts=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts.

Thanks for the information. It may be a good idea to add a subset of X
fonts (namely, TTF and OTF ones), something like:

--with-add-fonts="/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/OTF,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF"

Type1 fonts are deliberately not added, testcase: Build Konsole (part of
  kdebase), don't configure it in any way through the menu (i.e., use
the default settings) then run this:

LC_ALL=ru_RU.KOI8-R konsole
# in that konsole, type:
yes --help

If the Courier Type1 font is accessible to Fontconfig or to X, there
will be ugly double-width characters.

> Second, something to think about if you rebuild Fontconfig and
> /usr/*/lib/X11/fonts exist and you don't want those as defaults in
> fonts.conf.  Unless you specifically supply --with-add-fonts=no or
> --without-add-fonts, configure checks if /usr/*/lib/X11/fonts exists
> as a directory and adds them as defaults to fonts.conf.  Here's the
> relevant shell script:

 From the shell script there, it looks like the explicit
--with-add-fonts="/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/OTF,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF"
will also override the default guess.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov