r5695 - in trunk/BOOK: . general/genutils introduction/welcome x/installing x/lib

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Mar 3 23:19:12 PST 2006

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Justin R. Knierim wrote:
>
>>dj at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
>>
>>>+########## Need a way to fix this on the mirrors ##########
>>>+##### Maybe a single tarball is the way to handle it ######
>>
>>Heh, I'll say.  I'm not looking forward to adding so many packages to
>>the ftp dir, even with it being almost all scripted.  I can pull
>>everything from the /srv/everything/ directory and make a tarball of it.
>> It rather depends on how often updates to the individual Xorg packages
>>will happen.
>

> Yes.  This is a tough problem.  We don't know how things are going to be
> updated.  Are they going to add and delete new packages?  Will there be
> a R7.1 release?  It would be reasonable to group things together if they
> group changes like a KDE release.
>

>>So for now until we get this all figured out, if you want me to dump a
>>tarball of all the packages in the ftp repo, I can do that.  :)
>

> I'm not sure how *a* tarball would work.  I would think we would want
> several to mirror the book:  utilities, libraries, data, apps, fonts,
> drivers and server.  In that case, the changes may be more focused on a
> subset of the available packages.
>
>   -- Bruce

Well...as discussed offline, I figured we would not want to host these
at all.  If that's changed and lumped tarballs are desired, they are
already done up on my personal ftp.  It's limited to a whoping 128Kbps,
so it'll be slow, but it works. ftp://ftp.lucasit.com/pub/X11R7.0/

Also, will have to add doc.tar to that group of files later on.  I
completely forgot about the dang docu when stumbling through the
xterm/luit/encodings changes.

Also, for the wget scripts, these need to be copied to
http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/sources/BLFS/svn/x/wget/
from http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~dj/xorg7-wget/

Thanks.

-- DJ Lucas