r5695 - in trunk/BOOK: . general/genutils introduction/welcome x/installing x/lib

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Fri Mar 3 22:05:49 PST 2006

Justin R. Knierim wrote:
> dj at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
>> +########## Need a way to fix this on the mirrors ##########
>> +##### Maybe a single tarball is the way to handle it ######
>
> Heh, I'll say.  I'm not looking forward to adding so many packages to
> the ftp dir, even with it being almost all scripted.  I can pull
> everything from the /srv/everything/ directory and make a tarball of it.
>  It rather depends on how often updates to the individual Xorg packages
> will happen.

Yes.  This is a tough problem.  We don't know how things are going to be
updated.  Are they going to add and delete new packages?  Will there be
a R7.1 release?  It would be reasonable to group things together if they
group changes like a KDE release.

> So for now until we get this all figured out, if you want me to dump a
> tarball of all the packages in the ftp repo, I can do that.  :)

I'm not sure how *a* tarball would work.  I would think we would want
several to mirror the book:  utilities, libraries, data, apps, fonts,
drivers and server.  In that case, the changes may be more focused on a
subset of the available packages.