[BLFS Trac] #1816: xterm instructions

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Mon Feb 27 06:08:19 PST 2006

DJ Lucas пишет:
> DJ Lucas wrote:
>> BLFS Trac wrote:
>>
>>> #1816: xterm instructions
>>> ----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
>>>
>>>  Reporter:  randy at linuxfromscratch.org  |        Owner:
>>> blfs-book at linuxfromscratch.org
>>>      Type:  defect                      |       Status:
>>> new                            Priority:  normal
>>> BOOK                        |
>>> Version:                                 Severity:
>>> normal                      |
>>> Resolution:
>>>
>>> Comment (by alexander at linuxfromscratch.org):
>>>
>>>  I cannot comment if (4) is good. My concern was that the
>>> luit-compatible
>>>  terminfo settings for line drawing characters are in ncurses, but
>>> not in
>>>  xterm.
>>>
>>>  Result:
>>>
>>>  terminfo settings in both xterm and ncurses are compatible with OLD
>>> xterm
>>>  and luit from X11R6.8.2, so I don't see immediate problems with "make
>>>  install-ti"
>>>
>>>  But something is very broken in the new luit. E.g.,
>>>
>>>   * the pty race is fixed in 6.9.0 but not 7.0.0
>>>   * the standard smacs and rmacs sequences are not recognized in luit
>>> mode.
>>>  Testcase: in "xterm -lc", echo -e '\x1b(0qqq\x1b(B'. "qqq" is the wrong
>>>  result. A horizontal line is the correct result.
>>>
>> Well...ATM we don't link against luit.  You have to explicitly pass
>> --enable-luit to configure.  The man page is over descriptive, enough to
>> cause confustion as to what is needed, but '-u8' and '-en UTF-8' both
>> work as expected.  In my case, LC_ALL=en_US, LC_CTYPE=en_US,
>> LANG=en_US.UTF-8.

If LC_ALL is set, other variables have no effect. If LC_CTYPE is set, it
overrides LANG for the purposes of character classification and
conversion only. You can thus unset anything except LANG.

BTW, instead of the current locale related text, it is a good idea to
include a pointer to LFS, because one of the two texts necessarily lags
behind the other.

> Seriously, I found two very old threads that may or may not be of
> interest, unfortunately, I don't see where they have been resolved either:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xfree-i18n&m=101688477003932&w=2
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2004/06/msg00566.html

Both  are fixed in ncurses-5.5, but luit is buggy and quirky enough to
make this fix pointless for Xorg-7.0.0. Half-seriously, I recommend not
installing xterm at all, because its xft interface is useless without
luit, and its core bitmap font interface is against our plan to remove
obsolete core fonts and toolkits that use them (aka GTK1, Xaw and
Lesstif). Also it doesn't integrate well with input method software.

More seriously, Xorg-6.8.2 + luit patch + ncurses-5.5 is the last known
working combination.

As for the reason why it works in patched Xorg-6.8.2 (I might be wrong
about 6.9.0, let me recheck) and not in patched 7.0.0, I really don't
know. The source of luit is identical, so the problem must be with some
library.

BTW the 6.2-pre3 CD contains no xterm.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov