[BLFS Trac] #1816: xterm instructions

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Feb 26 23:14:49 PST 2006

DJ Lucas wrote:
> BLFS Trac wrote:
>
>> #1816: xterm instructions
>> ----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
>>
>>  Reporter:  randy at linuxfromscratch.org  |        Owner:
>> blfs-book at linuxfromscratch.org
>>      Type:  defect                      |       Status:
>> new                            Priority:  normal
>> |    Milestone:                                Component:
>> BOOK                        |
>> Version:                                 Severity:
>> normal                      |
>> Resolution:
>>
>> Comment (by alexander at linuxfromscratch.org):
>>
>>  I cannot comment if (4) is good. My concern was that the luit-compatible
>>  terminfo settings for line drawing characters are in ncurses, but not in
>>  xterm.
>>
>>  Result:
>>
>>  terminfo settings in both xterm and ncurses are compatible with OLD
>> xterm
>>  and luit from X11R6.8.2, so I don't see immediate problems with "make
>>  install-ti"
>>
>>  But something is very broken in the new luit. E.g.,
>>
>>   * the pty race is fixed in 6.9.0 but not 7.0.0
>>   * the standard smacs and rmacs sequences are not recognized in luit
>> mode.
>>  Testcase: in "xterm -lc", echo -e '\x1b(0qqq\x1b(B'. "qqq" is the wrong
>>  result. A horizontal line is the correct result.
>>
> Well...ATM we don't link against luit.  You have to explicitly pass
> --enable-luit to configure.  The man page is over descriptive, enough to
> cause confustion as to what is needed, but '-u8' and '-en UTF-8' both
> work as expected.  In my case, LC_ALL=en_US, LC_CTYPE=en_US,
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8.

Umm...yeah.  Anyway, please ignore the crap above that I wrote!  Both
the race condition and the line drawing issues disappear when I set
LC_ALL to en_US.UTF-8! LANG is not enough to tip off luit, though the
man page mentions LANG, LC* is the kicker.  So that's solves it right
there: All non-utf8 locales are officially broken! J/K :-)

Seriously, I found two very old threads that may or may not be of
interest, unfortunately, I don't see where they have been resolved either:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xfree-i18n&m=101688477003932&w=2

http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2004/06/msg00566.html

-- DJ Lucas