[BLFS Trac] #1816: xterm instructions

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Feb 26 22:24:02 PST 2006

BLFS Trac wrote:
> #1816: xterm instructions
> ----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
>  Reporter:  randy at linuxfromscratch.org  |        Owner:  blfs-book at linuxfromscratch.org
>      Type:  defect                      |       Status:  new
> Comment (by alexander at linuxfromscratch.org):
>
>  I cannot comment if (4) is good. My concern was that the luit-compatible
>  terminfo settings for line drawing characters are in ncurses, but not in
>  xterm.
>
>  Result:
>
>  terminfo settings in both xterm and ncurses are compatible with OLD xterm
>  and luit from X11R6.8.2, so I don't see immediate problems with "make
>  install-ti"
>
>  But something is very broken in the new luit. E.g.,
>
>   * the pty race is fixed in 6.9.0 but not 7.0.0
>   * the standard smacs and rmacs sequences are not recognized in luit mode.
>  Testcase: in "xterm -lc", echo -e '\x1b(0qqq\x1b(B'. "qqq" is the wrong
>  result. A horizontal line is the correct result.

Well...ATM we don't link against luit.  You have to explicitly pass
--enable-luit to configure.  The man page is over descriptive, enough to
cause confustion as to what is needed, but '-u8' and '-en UTF-8' both
work as expected.  In my case, LC_ALL=en_US, LC_CTYPE=en_US,
LANG=en_US.UTF-8.  According to the man page, IIUC, I shouldn't be using
luit anyway...but it appears that it is judging by the "qqq" displayed
after the above command.  I trust the pty race condition is what I'm
whitnessing with 'xterm -lc' and not getting a shell prompt.  Seems
passing the shell as the last argument reduces the problem. but not
entirely.  Any idea why 6.9 works and not 7.0?  I'll diff the trees and
see if I see anything of importance.  I was desperately hoping not to
use patches in Xorg7.  :-)  Any additional info you can provide will be
greatly appreciated.

-- DJ Lucas