[BLFS Trac] #1818: MesaLib Nitpick

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Feb 26 20:43:16 PST 2006

BLFS Trac wrote:
> #1818: MesaLib Nitpick
> ----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------
>  Reporter:  randy at linuxfromscratch.org  |        Owner:  blfs-book at linuxfromscratch.org
>      Type:  defect                      |       Status:  new
> Comment (by randy at linuxfromscratch.org):
>
>  I forgot to list another item in the MesaLib instructions. There are
>  install commands that have '-o root' parameters. These are totally
>  unnecessary and redundant as only root can use the -o parameter on
>  the install command and then if root is issuing the command, the
>  owner will *always* be root.
>
>  So, bottom line is that we are not giving a good "learning experience"
>  by using commands improperly.

I also forgot the program descriptions and and the symlinks for the GL
includes if not installed in /usr.  Will have that and xterm fixed say
half hour or so.  Also, regarding the prefix, /usr by default for all
should be safe.  I don't see it as a problem, only that I haven't tested
Mesa in a different prefix from Xorg.  That still doesn't handle the
modules for X, but a separate note should be fine, and certainly better
than not having a default prefix.  Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll fire off a rebuild of Mesa and xserver in a few moments to test
that...in the mean time I'd like to leave it as is because the
instructions do work as they are, even if it's not exactly similar to
the other BLFS instructions for a day at worst.

-- DJ Lucas