r5088 - in trunk/BOOK: . general/sysutils introduction/welcome

TheOldFellow TheOldFellow at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 13:24:51 PDT 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> richard at linuxfromscratch.org wrote these words on 09/19/05 10:48 CST:

>>+    <para>To test the results, issue:
>>+    <screen><userinput>sed -i -e 's/static const char \*argp_program_version/ \
>>+                    const char \*argp_program_version/' \
>>+       -e 's/static const char \*argp_program_bug_address/ \
>>+                    const char \*argp_program_bug_address/' \
>>+        tests/genfile.c &&
>>+make check
>

> It is my understanding that we shouldn't indent the <screen> tag. I'm
> not sure but I believe it has to do with the script that automatically
> generates the build commands. Manuel can correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> However, I'm almost certain that we're not supposed to. I do know that
> when Manuel went through the book doing all the tag corrections, there
> wasn't one place in the book where the <screen> tag was indented.

Do you mean: Don't put whitespace before the <screen> on a line?  If so
that's easily fixed.

I'm more concerned now though with your implication that <screen> tags
are used to automate something.  I used the screen section but this is
really just a glorified 'make check' - it probably shouldn't be included
in any automated building without thought.

What do you suggest?

R.