r4602 - in trunk/BOOK: . introduction/welcome server/major

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 15 07:57:25 PDT 2005

Archaic wrote these words on 06/15/05 08:59 CST:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 01:27:05AM -0500, Randy McMurchy wrote:
>
>>I believe it has been standardized, and is how every other package
>>is done, and how the template file recommends, to simply say:
>>
>>"Now, as the root user:"

I was mistaken in initially bringing this up. I did not realize there
was distinct separation between the building and installation commands
identified by text saying so.

Most of the packages aren't that way. I didn't look hard enough at
the complete commit before commenting. The way you have it is fine.

However, as far as all the other packages having "The first line is
actually wrong in every case", I don't believe that is the case
unless you read too much into that first line.

If it were really a problem then we should move the discussion
over to -dev and ask the community, again, about this same issue.

But, please understand the methodology used:

We had this:

Install la-de-da by issuing the following commands.

Then, after it was decided to separate root and unprivileged user
commands, the decision, *after much discussion*, was to simply insert
the one line "Now, as the root user", where appropriate.

Now, considering this, how is it that the first line "is actually
wrong"?

09:48:00 up 74 days, 9:21, 2 users, load average: 0.01, 0.08, 0.08