r4602 - in trunk/BOOK: . introduction/welcome server/major

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 15 07:35:15 PDT 2005

Archaic wrote these words on 06/15/05 08:59 CST:

> Install Postfix by running the following commands:
>
> make
>
> Now, as the root user:
>
> The first line is actually wrong in every case. non-root doesn't install
> anything. They compile.
>
> I'll await response before doing anything.

We do it this way because after a long discussion on blfs-dev,
this is how Bruce decided (with community input) it should be done.

However, I think you're misreading the intentions of the text.

Please look at it like this:

Install la-de-da by running the following commands:

Now as the root user:

All of the commands x through z and a-c are used to install the
package, notice we don't distinguish which are build commands
and which are installation commands.

The main reason it was done this way was for ease of inserting
the root message. Your way, means we have to go back and touch
300-something packages, again.

Please, can't it be good enough the way it is?  :-)

09:28:01 up 74 days, 9:01, 2 users, load average: 0.30, 0.12, 0.03