fontconfig duplication during X compilation.

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Fri Jun 10 17:02:57 PDT 2005

rhubarbpie at poetworld.net wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I believe I understand the following note in the fontconfig.html section
> of the documentation.
>
> Note
>
> X also includes an internal (and older) version of Fontconfig and unless
> it is explicitly disabled when building XFree86, the internal version is
> created leaving two slightly incompatible libraries on your system. It
> is recommended that you only install one version.
>
> If I understand this correctly, this means I must change the following
> section of the host.def file:
>
> #define HasFontconfig           YES
>
> I believe the section must be changed to:
>
> #define HasFontconfig           NO
>
> I missed this when I initially compiled X which caused Thunderbird to
> not run.  I suggest that "#define HasFontconfig           NO" be added
> to the note as an example of what must be done.

In the XFree86 install instructions:

"the following packages are included in the XFree86 package, however
they are updated more often than the XFree86 package and are highly
recommended: expat-1.95.8, FreeType-2.1.9, Fontconfig-2.3.1."

The note in *XFree86* says to do that:

 "If you choose not to install expat, FreeType2, and Fontconfig, the
host.def file below will have to be modified to instruct XFree86 to
build them."

We assume that if you don't follow the book's recommendations that you
can figure out how to modify the host.def file yourself.