fontconfig duplication during X compilation.

rhubarbpie at poetworld.net rhubarbpie at poetworld.net
Fri Jun 10 16:57:57 PDT 2005

Greetings,

I believe I understand the following note in the fontconfig.html section
of the documentation.

Note

X also includes an internal (and older) version of Fontconfig and unless
it is explicitly disabled when building XFree86, the internal version is
created leaving two slightly incompatible libraries on your system. It
is recommended that you only install one version.

If I understand this correctly, this means I must change the following
section of the host.def file:

#define HasFontconfig           YES

I believe the section must be changed to:

#define HasFontconfig           NO

I missed this when I initially compiled X which caused Thunderbird to
not run.  I suggest that "#define HasFontconfig           NO" be added
to the note as an example of what must be done.

--

Sailing to Byzantium,

Charles Hause