r4854 - in trunk/BOOK: . introduction/welcome xsoft/graphweb

Archaic archaic at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jul 31 11:24:44 PDT 2005

On Sun, Jul 31, 2005 at 01:09:15PM -0500, Randy McMurchy wrote:

> Agreed. However, my experience is that there was at least one more
> extension that caused undesirable behavior. I cannot remember which
> one it was. I will have to and look for build notes from many, many
> months ago.

I also went on a massive build flurry back when I developed my preferred
method. I built firefox well over 20 times and researched each and every
extension. I also installed the binary and examined it's configure
options, features, and usability. Also, my build method fixes the
profile manager crud without the use of an ugly hack to the firefox
script. Mind you, I may not have had some other package that firefox
would have used which could have skewed my results. The final caveat is
I developed this probably at the time of the pre 1.0 release. However,
it has continued to work up through 1.0.6, so FWIW, here it is:

./configure --disable-ldap --disable-mailnews --enable-crypto \
  --disable-composer --enable-single-profile --disable-profilesharing \
  --disable-debug --enable-optimize --disable-tests --enable-xft \
  --enable-default-toolkit=gtk2 --disable-freetype2 --with-system-zlib \
  --with-system-png --with-system-jpeg --enable-reorder --enable-strip \
  --enable-cpp-rtti --disable-accessibility --disable-logging \
  --enable-extensions=all,-typeaheadfind --disable-pedantic &&
make &&
make -C browser/installer &&
cd dist &&
sudo mv firefox /opt/firefox-${version} &&
sudo ln -sf /opt/firefox-${version} /opt/firefox &&
sudo ln -sf /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/bin &&
sudo su -c firefox  # su needed because sudo by itself doesn't create
                    # the proper environment for the initial root run

--
Archaic

Hardened Linux From Scratch
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hlfs