Book generation time

M.Canales.es manuel at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jul 28 05:10:18 PDT 2005

El Jueves, 28 de Julio de 2005 07:10, Tushar Teredesai escribió:
> Currently, it takes a loooooong time to generate the book, which
> becomes tedious for verifying small changes.

Like Bruce said, in part it's due the use of Xinclude + DTD schema. When we
can move on to a RNG schema (DocBook 5.0), validation and inclusion should be
almost instant, reducing notably the renderization time.

But many of the time currently needed to render the book is to generate
longindex.html.

A normal "make":

macana at sandbox:~/LFS/BLFS$ time { make; }
Generating XHTML Version of BLFS Book with xsltproc...
  BASEDIR = /home/macana/public_html/blfs-book-xsl/
xsltproc --xinclude --nonet -stringparam
base.dir /home/macana/public_html/blfs-book-xsl/ \
  stylesheets/blfs-chunked.xsl index.xml
real    3m12.625s
user    3m9.971s
sys     0m2.654s

Adding "-stringparam generate.index 0" to the xsltproc command:

macana at sandbox:~/LFS/BLFS$ time { make; }
Generating XHTML Version of BLFS Book with xsltproc...
  BASEDIR = /home/macana/public_html/blfs-book-xsl/
xsltproc --xinclude --nonet -stringparam
base.dir /home/macana/public_html/blfs-book-xsl/ \
  -stringparam generate.index 0 stylesheets/blfs-chunked.xsl index.xml
real    2m16.287s
user    2m13.639s
sys     0m2.524s

> Is there a way to generate only a single package page?

Not, due the cross-references on the dependencies sections.

--
Manuel Canales Esparcia