r5505 - in trunk/BOOK:

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Dec 29 21:58:40 PST 2005

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote these words on 12/29/05 23:48 CST:

>>+    <para>If you have <xref linkend="tex"/> installed and wish to create a
>>+    text version of the documentation, issue the following commands:</para>
>>+
>>+<screen><userinput>cd doc &&
>>+makeinfo --plaintext -o libidn.txt libidn.texi &&
>>+cd ..</userinput></screen>
>
> This looks like general instructions for conversion from *.texi to
> *.txt, right? Are there plans to add similart instructions to other
> packages that have texinfo documentation?

You are exactly right. I asked the group some time ago about this
and Bruce said go ahead. So, when I think about it and when the
packages have good .texi files, I'll build pdf, ps (which also
creates dvi), html, txt and info (if it isn't already made).

I would rather do the following for the text version, if I can.
Most times I can, but like this case (libidn), for example, it
won't work as paths are hardcoded:

makeinfo --plaintext -o doc/libidn.txt doc/libidn.texi

That way don't have to do the change directory commands. Of course,
if there is a Makefile target, I use that.

23:52:00 up 96 days, 9:16, 3 users, load average: 0.08, 0.04, 0.08