r5505 - in trunk/BOOK: . general/genlib introduction/welcome

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Thu Dec 29 21:48:55 PST 2005

randy at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
> Author: randy
> Date: 2005-12-29 22:01:26 -0700 (Thu, 29 Dec 2005)
> New Revision: 5505
>
> Added:
>    trunk/BOOK/general/genlib/libidn.xml
> Modified:
>    trunk/BOOK/general.ent
>    trunk/BOOK/general/genlib/genlib.xml
>    trunk/BOOK/introduction/welcome/changelog.xml
>    trunk/BOOK/introduction/welcome/credits.xml
> Log:
> Added new package Libidn-0.6.0

Thanks! When this gets rendered, I will update the link in UTF-8 LFS.

While libidn has a testsuite, a more immediate demonstration that the
library works won't hurt (but that's just my personal preference, feel
free to ignore):

1) Build CURL after libidn.
2) LANG=en_US.UTF-8 xterm
3) In that xterm, copy-and-paste the follwing command line:

curl -s http://räksmörgås.josefßon.org/ | iconv -f ISO-8859-1

The HTML code fetched from that site with non-ASCII domain name should
appear in xterm.

"LANG=en_US.UTF-8 xterm" is just a known-good terminal, I don't want to
waste time explaining terminal configuration. I said "copy-and-paste"
because not everyone can type those characters. "iconv" at the end is
because the page is in ISO-8859-1, not UTF-8

> +    <para><application>Libidn</application> is a package designed for
> +    internationalized string handling based on the <ulink
> +    url="http://josefsson.org/cgi-bin/rfcmarkup?url=http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3454.txt">
> +    Stringprep</ulink>, <ulink
> +    url="http://josefsson.org/cgi-bin/rfcmarkup?url=http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3492.txt">
> +    Punycode</ulink>, <ulink
> +    url="http://josefsson.org/cgi-bin/rfcmarkup?url=http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3490.txt">
> +    IDNA</ulink> and <ulink
> +    url="http://josefsson.org/cgi-bin/rfcmarkup?url=http://josefsson.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/libidn/doc/specifications/draft-hoffman-idn-reg-02.txt">
> +    TLD</ulink> specifications defined by the Internet Engineering Task Force
> +    (IETF) Internationalized Domain Names (IDN) working group, used for
> +    internationalized domain names. This is useful for converting data from the
> +    system's native representation into UTF-8, transforming Unicode strings
> +    into ASCII strings, allowing applications to use certain ASCII name labels
> +    (beginning with a special prefix) to represent non-ASCII name labels, and
> +    converting entire domain names to and from the ASCII Compatible Encoding
> +    (ACE) form.</para>

OK, maybe even too verbose.

> +<screen><userinput>./configure --prefix=/usr &&
> +make</userinput></screen>
> +
> +    <para>If you have <xref linkend="tex"/> installed and wish to create a
> +    text version of the documentation, issue the following commands:</para>
> +
> +<screen><userinput>cd doc &&
> +makeinfo --plaintext -o libidn.txt libidn.texi &&
> +cd ..</userinput></screen>

This looks like general instructions for conversion from *.texi to
*.txt, right? Are there plans to add similart instructions to other
packages that have texinfo documentation?

(this is not an objection)

--
Alexander E. Patrakov