English grammar (Was: Re: r5399 - trunk/BOOK/x/wm)

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Dec 10 15:17:18 PST 2005

Andrew Benton wrote:
> Randy McMurchy wrote:

>> http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/commas.asp
>

> Hmm...rule 1 looks a bit dodgy, putting a comma before the word and?
> There are some interesting examples on that page though. Thanks for the
> link. English has always been my weak point. I'm slightly dyslexic so I
> appreciate other people reviewing my work.

Rule #1 has gone both ways through the years.  I was learned that way!
;-)  IIRC, it was discussed before, on list, as well, and decided that
the example you've pointed out is _incorrect_.  You'll probably find
both methods scattered throughout the book.  I am certainly NOT the
person to ask about grammar, however, I have found Purdue University's
OWL (Online Writing Lab) to be very helpful in the past.

I particularly like this page:
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/

And, relevant to the rule you've pointed out above, this one:
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_comma.html

See rule five in the handout, and it'll tell you that rule one on the
first link provided _is_ correct.

-- DJ Lucas