r5399 - trunk/BOOK/x/wm

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Dec 10 09:30:49 PST 2005

Andrew Benton wrote these words on 12/10/05 11:21 CST:

> Yes, I don't see the harm. I'd like to keep it, but you can take it out if you want. It's not that important. Code is important. Style and tone are just surface. It's up to you.

Here, we'll just have to A2D. :-)

I believe it to be *very* important. Here's my reasoning:

The word is not in a dictionary, it is at best probably considered
highly informal (at worst probably considered rude and condescending)
and there is no way that many folks that use English as a second
language even *know* what it means, and have no way to find out what
it means.

Why use something like that, which has the potential to confuse so
many readers? Keep in mind that our book is read by folks across
the world, not just native English speakers.

Additionally, because the word is occasionally used in a
condescending manner, some folks whose primary language is not
English, but have only seen this word used condescendingly, may not
understand that it supposed to be taken in a humorous context.

To me, it's just not worth taking the chance on possibly confusing
and/or insulting folks.

11:24:00 up 76 days, 20:48, 3 users, load average: 0.03, 0.51, 0.62