r5399 - trunk/BOOK/x/wm

Andrew Benton b3nt at ukonline.co.uk
Sat Dec 10 09:21:32 PST 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> That's great, however, perhaps we could stick with conventional
> grammar recommendations from folks that have written books on the
> subject. :-)

Hmm...but don't believe everything you read. Lots of rubbish has been written in books

> Here's an example, check out Rules 9 and 19. You may also wish
> to read the sentences on this page that begin with "If". There
> are probably better examples and authorities on the web, but
> all my grammar bookmarks are on another machine right now that
> I cannot get to. This is the first thing google brought up when
> I used keywords of 'grammar if clause comma'.
>
> http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/commas.asp

Hmm...rule 1 looks a bit dodgy, putting a comma before the word and? There are some interesting examples on that page though. Thanks for the link.
English has always been my weak point. I'm slightly dyslexic so I appreciate other people reviewing my work.

>>> And I'm not sure that "...DOH!" is
>>> something we should be putting in a technical book. In fact, I know
>>> it shouldn't be there.
>
> I do note, however, that in your corrections, you decided to keep it.

Yes, I don't see the harm. I'd like to keep it, but you can take it out if you want. It's not that important. Code is important. Style and tone are just surface. It's up to you.
Thanks
Andy